92 325i with arthritis

Let me start with what the mechanic said:
"It seems to be running fine to me."
What he meant was that the engine still revs to red line and sounds very sweet
along the way.
The problem is that getting to the red line seems to happen in slow motion
these days. I feel like I'm driving a real 316tds with a catalytic converter.
It also has lost that "awakening" it had at 4000 rpm. It just plods along
letting slow cars keep up with it and fast cars eat it alive.
Yes it's an aging early model 325i (with only 50k miles) but there must be
something tangibly wrong. It is especially noticeable on these past hot days
with the air conditioning on. If I stomp on the loud pedal (even in first), all
I get is ignored for what seems like eternity but is actually some seconds and
then the car gradually builds some speed.
Back in 94 they replaced an ignition coil and adjusted the cam shaft timing per
bulletin 1100803500 to cure some very strange behaviour while the car was in
the blue warm up zone - if you coasted or accelerated slowly, it would jerk
quite seriously as though it were gasping for air, gasoline, or both. Stomp on
it and the car would be fine. This was described to me as running lean. They
also reprogrammed the EPROM. I never thought the problems were corrected just
compensated for but alas that was just a taste of BMW things to come. Witness
the sulfur and profile gasket fiascos.

O.K. I guess that's enough skeletons for one session. Anyone have some
suggestions?

Roger...
jarjour@domain.elided

84 Audi 4000 formerly the daily hack, now a driveway ornament
92 325i now a daily driver but hopeful for a new brother come fall