Follow up on probs. w/ sharked '88 M5

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BDBB3B.6A584900

I recently installed a Jim C. chip in my previously perfectly running,
low mileage 1988 M5.  Upon installation, I immediately encountered
hesitation at start up under throttle to about 1500 rpms until warm up,
and I also encountered infrequent stalling during braking to zero w/
clutch in.  I thankfully received comments from this list with a few
possible solutions, but Jim C. and others all first recommended I swap
back to the original chip to see if these problems persisted.

So I did--about a week ago.  Here's the bad news.  The car runs
great--no hesitation, not one stall.  I really want to use the Jim C.
chip, which, I have come to conclude with this swapping, offers tangible
performance gains--smooth rev to redline and a bit more quickness.  I
simply can't believe the Jim C. chip is the problem.  So, what about the
Jim C. chip makes it more sensitive to the engine overall so as to bring
out the hesitation and stalling problems?  Put another way, what might
be going in my    engine that the original chip can compensate for, but
the Jim C. chip can't or perhaps even magnifies?

By the way, I did notice that with the original chip, at start up the
car idles at around a 1000 until warm up (about 20-30 secs in this
summer heat) and then drops to around 800.  With the Jim C. chip, this
does not occur, nor does turning on the AC bump the revs slightly, as
with the original chip.

Insights, comments, suggestions anyone???

Thanks, Andrew Skopp
1988 M5 (Shark in quarantine)

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BDBB3B.6A584900

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.1960.3">
<TITLE>Follow up on probs. w/ sharked '88 M5</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">I recently installed a =
Jim C. chip in my previously perfectly running, low mileage 1988 =
M5.&nbsp; Upon installation, I immediately encountered hesitation at =
start up under throttle to about 1500 rpms until warm up, and I also =
encountered infrequent stalling during braking to zero w/ clutch =
in.&nbsp; I thankfully received comments from this list with a few =
possible solutions, but Jim C. and others all first recommended I swap =
back to the original chip to see if these problems =
persisted.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">So I did--about a week =
ago.&nbsp; Here's the bad news.&nbsp; The car runs great--no =
hesitation, not one stall.&nbsp; I really want to use the Jim C. chip, =
which, I have come to conclude with this swapping, offers tangible =
performance gains--smooth rev to redline and a bit more =
quickness.&nbsp; I simply can't believe the Jim C. chip is the =
problem.&nbsp; So, what about the Jim C. chip makes it more sensitive =
to the engine overall so as to bring out the hesitation and stalling =
problems?&nbsp; Put another way, what might be going in =
my&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; engine that the original chip can compensate for, =
but the Jim C. chip can't or perhaps even magnifies?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">By the way, I did =
notice that with the original chip, at start up the car idles at around =
a 1000 until warm up (about 20-30 secs in this summer heat) and then =
drops to around 800.&nbsp; With the Jim C. chip, this does not occur, =
nor does turning on the AC bump the revs slightly, as with the original =
chip. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Insights, comments, =
suggestions anyone???</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">Thanks, Andrew =
Skopp</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080" FACE=3D"Book Antiqua">1988 M5 (Shark in =
quarantine) </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>