	From:  SMILLER@domain.elided [SMTP:SMILLER@domain.elided]
	Sent:  Wednesday, July 29, 1998 11:48 AM
	To:  Buhay, Noel S (Noel)** CTR **
	Subject:  Reply:  Octane

	Franc, you can't get engine boost from octane.  You should use the
	lowest octane on which your car will run without pinging, which is
	probably what the factory recommends.

	An engine can be tuned to run on higher octane, which is what the
chip
	manufacturers do.   Some cars require higher octane as they get
older
	because carbon build-up on the pistons, in the cylinders, etc.,
causes
	the effective compression ratio to creep up a bit, so your car may
need
	higher octane than the factory recommended.  However, if the car
hasn't
	been modified to require higher octane and has no other problems,
you're
	wasting your money buying higher octane gas.

	Happy Bimmering,

	Scott Miller
	Golden Gate Chapter
	BMW CCA #44977