Re: USA 1986 BMW 635CSi Tranny conversion from Electronic 4 speed Automatic to - 5 Speed Manual

Bill,

What you are proposing to do, I have just completed on my 1987 535is.
The most difficult part about the conversion was getting the parts
together.  My wife and I called just about every advertiser  (wrecking
yard) in the Roundel to find a transmission.  Finally found one at
Bavarian Auto Recycling in California.

Here is what you will need:

1.  5 - Speed transmission from 1986 and on.  Getrag 260/6 (It is
recognizable by the cooling fins on the bottom of the transmission.
Earlier cars had Getrag 265's or 260/5 transmissions.
2.  Driveshaft for your car.  The automatic one is different.  I bought
a rebuilt one and have had no problems with vibration.
3. Pedal Assembly from a car that has a manual transmission
4. Clutch Hydraulic Parts.  Master, Slave, tubing, flex hose (this part
is about $50)
5. Throttle position switch
6. Shift assembly, including mounting, rod, shift lever, boot, etc.
7. Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing
8. Exhaust hangar assembly that is supported from transmission
9. Various nuts and bolts for the driveshaft and transmission
10. Rubber disc (between transmission and driveshaft)
11. Transmission support cross member

This represents the major parts, the rest was little hardware pieces.

You will need to do some wiring:
The new throttle position switch need to wired to the Motronic unit.
Wire in the back-up light switch
Install cruise control switch for clutch - The wiring harness connector
was already installed in my car.
Jumper the relay for the starter lock-out.
Note: I had a BMW ETM Wiring manual to help me out.  (Very useful)

Cap off the cooling lines to the radiator for the automatic transmission
fluid.

My total cost for the conversion was about $2400 (all parts were used
except for the clutch hydraulic parts, clutch disc, pressure plate,
throwout bearing, driveshaft, rubber disc)

Labor to do the job was about 80 man-hours

Purchase a BMW clutch alignment tool.  It is worth the money!

The majority of the job is quite straight forward.  I spent a lot of
time getting little things configured.

Georg Taht
georg.i.taht@domain.elided
1987 535is