<E34> '90 535i Drivetrain vibration

My car has the shakes!
I'd like to get some feedback on the cause, history of similar BMW
models, repair options, and any Dealer Bulletins concerning the subject.
It happens during strong acceleration from stand-still, and during
strong acceleration between 19 and 27 mph.  I've been told its the
center bearing on the drive shaft.  The car is automatic of 04/90
production date.
After some research, it seems my options are:
- - replace center bearing as a minimum, inspect U-joints(2) for possible
problems
- - if U-joints are found to be bad, then complete drivetrain replacement
is necessary
- - for drivetrain (consisting of 2 U-joints, center bearing, and rear CV)
the options are:
- - BMW part:  >$700
- - re-manufactured part:  $450 + $150 (returnable w/good core exchange),
with 1-5 day shipping
- - pull bad drivetrain, ship out for re-conditioning:  ~$350 + shipping
- - Labor is estimated at 3 hours, potential down-time is 1 to 7 days.

Can someone recommend best options for remedy (best being best
value....quality, performance, at lowest price)?  Know of the Dealer
Bulletin which deals with this and best source to obtain it from?  Is
this condition a chronic weakness of these models?

Regards,

Ken Thompson
San Jose, Ca.
Golden Gate Chapter