[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

F.Y.I. <E24> stiff clutch

                                                                      9/26/96
                                                                      6:55 PM
 F.Y.I. <E24> stiff clutch

A direct reply "bounced" hence via the list

If your throwout bearing is the same as the originals used in my past '83 and
current '86 528E you may have the same source ;of a stiff clutch that I had.

Think of the throwout bearing as a donut sliding along a broom stick.  The
donut has two "ears" that are tabs that stick out from the dounut, 180 degrees
apart.  A fork ( not literally a fork, but the same for all practical
purposes)  presses against each tab when you step on the clutch.

What has happened on both of my vehicles, is that one of the tabs broke off.
Whne the fork moved, it only had one tab to press against, and so the dounut
was only pressed forward on one side and "cocked" on the shaft as a result --
the bore of the hole was no longer aligned parallel to the shaft it slide on.
That caused binding between the throwout bearing and the shaft which resulted
in increased pedal effort.

The new throwout bearing is supposed to have a ring completely around it
instead of two tabs.

Harvey.