[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Brake drums LOCKED on!!!

Help!

About a month ago I changed my rear shoes and drums on my 1984 318i.  Today, I
went to leave and the rear brakes are locked up.  I mean they are locked up
tight.  There is lots of play in the emergency brake cable, so I know that it is
not set too tight.  The fluid does need changing pretty badly, but that wouldn't
cause the brakes to lock?

What could I have done wrong?

Could it be the wheel cylinder?

Could it be the emergency brake adjuster? (in the back--it is not the ones where
you set the emergency brake because there is lots of slack up there--possibly
too much)

I really need some quick help because it is blocking my wife's vehicle in the
garage, so without unlocking these brakes we are stranded.

Also, how am I supposed to get the drum off when the brakes are applied so hard?

Stranded,
Donny Barger
70420.2112@domain.elided
Fort Worth TX