[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

head bolts a breakin on BMWs

Has anyone of you (E30 325i owner) had the 14 hex bolts replaced with
the
torx type?  Is this a must upgrade?  My local BMW dealer just told me
that
it was not necessary.  The parts would be $36 and the labor would be
something like $150.  So it would cost me $200 for the upgrade.  Of
course,
that is relatively cheap compared to a valve job.  But the service rep
told
me that he's hardly seen any E30 with a loose bolt.

I respond...
I put forth this question to the group a week ago... no response
Sister's 86 528e broke a head bolt, ovhtd. and cracked head...  $1800
repair.
Independent repair facility says broken bolts are a common problem.
With which cars I'm not sure.
Anyway , shop showed me TSB put out by Alldata which stated that BMW
pulled ALL old bolts out of inventory and replaced with higher strength
bolts.  Personally I believe this is class action territory.  Customer
service lady at BMW of NA said that maybe I would have received some
type of compensation, IF, I would've had car done at dealer.
To wit... there is/was a problem.
Which cars, and whether you will get BMW to repair is the question.
Shop suggests replacement to all customers with old bolts still in
head.  Pull valve cover and replace ONE AT A TIME.  One hour should
probably do it if you don't mess with the valves.  Personally I believe
dealer should do it for FREE.  My sister is still out $1800.00

- --
Bruce Toski
Broward County Vo-Tech Automotive Instructor / Owner - Toski Tech
Preliminary Home page at:      http://www.fxn.com/users/b/btoski/
Most familiar with Audi 5000S automobiles and Wankel transportation
Ground support mechanic at Eastern Air Lines -  10 year veteran
	Thanks for nothing Frank ... Lorenzo and Borman that is.