[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> Front Stabilizer Bar Link, Coolant Temperature Sensor

I've identified the source of an annoying "clunk" as one of my front
stablizer bar links.  I've checked Bentley's, but it is really sparse about
this part.  What I'm wondering is whether I need to replace the link, or
whether I can attempt to relubricate the rubber boot at the end of the link.
Are there ball joints in either end of this link that would necessitate
replacement?  I'm getting ready to replace the struts, so I might as well
replace the links while I'm at it if they're going to need replacement.

BTW, I did my first valve adjustment on Sunday.  The engine had been idling
really poorly, and I found that the valve cover wasn't on very tight.  After
adjusting the valves and replacing the valve cover per specs, (also new
plugs, distributor, and rotor), the idle is *mucho* improved.  There still
remains an annoying drop in rpms every little while, especially when the
engine is cold.  I suspect the coolant temperature sensor.  I checked the
impedance per Bentley's at it read 1600 when the engine was cold; Bentley's
lists proper range of 2200-2700.  I'm going to replace it this weekend in
hopes of curing the problem.  Has anyone out there had a similar experience
with this sensor?  TIA

Rebel A. Cole
'86 535i (185k miles, annoying "clunk")