[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #284

>From: cksr04a@domain.elided (Geiger Lee)
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:23:30 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: <e30> O2 sensor needed
>

>I want to get a new O2 sensor for my <e30> '91 325iC. My mechanic said
>it will be about $200 for the part and 45 minutes labor. Does this
>seem right?  I have seen some O2 sensors for the 3-series in the
>Roundel for $30. Is there a substitute part that is the same for a
>lower price?

Geiger,

$200 for the 02 sensor??  That is extremely high (unless the
91 E30 convertibles uses a very different 02 sensor) it should cost
at most around $115.  And 45 minutes labor??  Maybe the mechanic
needs to pick his nose for 40 minutes after he finishes the job? :-)
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong)  I think most
shops will charge you 15-30 minutes anyway though.

The O2 sensor is located right on the exhaust manifold and basically
you just twist it in.  If you need advice on how to do this properly
and want to buy the OEM part cheaply contact "Steve D'Gerolamo"
<steved3@domain.elided>.  He's a member of this list and offers
great free advice all the time w/o advertising much.

Personally, I tried to do this myself and couldn't.  It was stuck
VERY tight and when I brought it to the mechanic he ended up
charging me 1.5 hours because the O2 sensor had seized and
ruined the threads on the exhaust pipe.  Finally ended up
welding the sucker since it fell off after he rethreaded.  Not
too thrilled with him anymore but that's another story.

Regards,
- -Ka Kau

89 325i, for sale