[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wheel question.

>>>>> Original Message >>>>>

What other BMW models ( or other makes) will fit ( bolt pattern and offset)
my late model 6.

<<<<< Reply <<<<<

I just recently replace my TRX wheels on my 85 635CSi.  Here is
what I now have:

Alpina Springs (1" shorter than stock)
Bilstein Sport Gas Shocks on all 4 wheels
Repco Deluxe Brake Pads (Dustless)
Borbet 8.5 Jx17 H2 wheels (Type A - 85 713) - Chrome Plated
Sumitomo (Dunlop) 235/45 ZR17 tires (HTR 45Z)

The ride is quite firm but not harsh.  I have not had any
passengers complain about the ride.  It feels glued to the road
compared to the old TRX wheels and tires.  Because the car is
lower than stock, I have had some problems with steep driveways
and they have taken their toll on my front spoiler.

The wheels are 8.5" wide and 17" in diameter and with the above
tires, nothing rubs anywhere front or rear.  No spacers or camber
plates were required.

As a data point, I got the whole package including the rims,
tires, dynamic balancing, mounting, wheel alignment all around for
$1500.  The wheels were ordered for someone else that decided he
didn't want them when they came in so I got them for a pretty good
price.  Note that the wheels don't come in chrome, they were
plated for the original customer (which adds about $100 per wheel
to the cost).  I got mine from a local wheel dealer (in Southern
California).

I know that these wheels are carried by the Tire Rack.  Their adds
in Autoweek sometimes picture the wheels I have.  There is a
picture of the wheels at:

   http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/borbet/bo_a.htm

listed at $249 each (not chromed).  The Tire Rack also has lots of
other types of wheels that will fit your BMW.

Don Mies
85 635CSi (The latest of 8 BMWs) - Wonderful car!!
Thinking (very hard) about a Z3