[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

K-Jetronic Fuel injection hell...

I just finished rebuilding '80 323i (K-Jetronic basic) and now can't get
the beast to run. It readily starts and runs for 5-10 sec and promptly dies
of fuel starvation no matter what attitude the airflow sensor is in. After
it starves, it needs to set for a few minutes before it will start again.

I had the injectors checked off the car during the rebuild - all were fine
(thanks Techron!)
I replaced the fuel pump just prior to the rebuild (there is no pre-pump in
the tank).
I replaced the filter at rebuild.
I checked the pick-up screen in the tank.
I've blown back through the fuel line.

Some questions:

1. Probst's Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management list's standard
K-basic system/cold control pressures as 5.0 bar (75 psi)/1.4-1.8 bar (20
- -26 psi)

Are these accurate for an '80 323i?

2. Standard fuel throughput is listed as 750 ml in 30 seconds.

Is this accurate for an '80 323i?
What attitude/position is the airflow sensor (and therefore the control
plunger) supposed to be in for this measurement?

3. Bavarian Autosport says all internal fuel distributor parts are not
available including the system regulator o-rings and copper washer Probst
tells you to replace when you adjust the system pressure. Not to mention
the o-rings at the top and bottom the barrel and around each slit.

Are these BMW parts available from another source?
Are the part numbers or dimensions available (9mm OD, 6 mm ID x 2.5 mm thick)?
Are the O-rings the same as any other K-basic fuel pressure regulator?
(From the dealer for a similar vintage Saab or VW)

What are the definitive tests for defective fuel distributor (yikes!
$1,000) and the control-pressure regulator ($200)?

Other observations:

System and control pressures are in tolerance when jumpering the fuel
circuit (5.2 bar/1.5 bar) but drop 20-30% if I use the key with the pump
relay and diode in place. Control pressure rises if the ignition is left on
(normal electrical control pressure regulator warm-up)

Pump throughput is 500ml in 30 seconds with airflow sensor at rest. I have
not tried the test with the sensor in the full flow position. (I will try
tonight.)

12 volts at the fuel pump, good ground during the 5 - 10 second run, plus 2
second run-on.

Control plunger is not binding.

I can keep the engine running by spraying ether (probably not good during
the breakin) to verify it is a fuel starvation problem.

Yes, I have spark and good compression. I can't wait to see how much
difference the rebuild makes.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chip