[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E24> electrical bugs

Digesters,
	My 83 633 has some strange eletrical problems, what else is new!

	With the headlights on low beam the high beams come on halfway. I
measured about 6 volts on left high and 5 on right high. The left lights
are brighter than the right side. Also the fog lights come on without the
fog light switch on. And last but not least the high beam indicator on
the instrument cluster is half on when the low beams are on. Full on when
I turn the fog lights on.
	Now when I turn on the high beams all the lights go out! Even the
fog lights. Somewhere in the circuit I am getting some current source
with the lowbeams on.  Is it a relay that is N.O. but somehow makes some
contact? I swapped them out but to no avail.
	I have replaced the turn signal switch high beam switch and that
did not help. Anyway the turn signal was broken so it did cure that.
	Next I opened the headlight switch. Both of the diodes were
fried(1N 4004) so I replaced them with 1N 4004 Zn(could be zener?). That
was the closest part I had around. Cleaned up the circuit board and the
contacts. Reassemlbed it, and tried it out. Did not fix anything.
	BTW I have Hella low beam lights with 100/80 bulbs for my low
beam and a 6month old 80amp alternator. I have checked my body grounds to
the battery  and the engine. No luck. This problem has been here at least
6 months and I guess now is the time to fix it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Andre
83..633..3.5l(R&D springs,Bilsteins Sports, 280deg cam, ported head
2.25"  free flow exhaust, 4" stainless supertrapp, no chip and turbo
manifold on order!)
360kmiles