[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(E36) brake upgrade

As all of you heard it was HOT at Sebring this past Saturday...
I drive '94 325is and came to the track with fresh Racing blue DOT4,
and about 50% + of Repco Metalmasters (I already used them for 1 driving
school and about 4-5 autoctrosses)I thought that they would for sure last
at least this school and then a few days on the street before I was going
to put new ones in for Oct.school in Homestead. WRONG!!
After first 30min. session fronts were gone to backing plates and I
thought my day was over.Sebring is in the middle of cow pastures and BMW
dealerships are miles away and it was Saturday. Believe or not but as a
last resort I called about 5 parts dealers and One Stop Autoparts had pads
that would work. It saved my day, but they were US made and  literally
melted away in the following two 30' segments. (My brakes also consist of
crossdrilled Brembo rotors (stock size) and stainless steel/ kevlar
lines.)

I learned this lesson:
1)I will always have spare pads for my next track event.
2)I also learned (with the help of friends who showed me - thank you Rick
from Orlando blackE30M3) how easy it actually is to change the brake pads.
3)Since I learned how easy it is, I will be using some brand(??-help) for
track only, and Repco's for street driving.  (that is for now...)

But looking into the future:
Here are my questions for you fellow digesters:
 1)Is there any (read cheaper) alternative to upgrade my breaking system
without spending $2000 for Brembo or other 4 piston systems?
2)Would M3 brakes directly bolt on my car or are any other modifications
necessary? (I do have 17" wheels)
3)Is it enough just to get the M3 fronts or would it realy
upset the balance of braking and ABS systems.I heard there is some kind of
valve for adjustment.(to be honest I am happy with the rears and they are
not wearing  at half speed as the fronts are, but that is expected.)
This seems to be the most cost effective alternative to me .

4)ANY of you M3 guys upgraded your brakes and now have the stock parts
for sale? :-)
Those who have done it please respond to the digest as this may be of
interest to many E36 325/318 owners.     Thank you .
					              Milos