[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Changing oil filter

>Does anyone know of any trick to changing the oil filter on an E30 M3?  I
>seem to be unable to do so without pouring the oil in the filter all over
>the block and the suspesion components.  No problem getting the filter off.
>However, I can't extract it from above because of the airbox and various
>pipes and hoses.  I end up having to try to lower it into the waiting pan,
>but I don't have 4 ft. arms.  Invariably, I end up tipping it while trying
>to find something to rest it on until I can get under the car.  And then
>I've got a spill with oil all over engine and suspension.

Try putting a little plastic food storage bag over the oil filter from below
and pull it up over the oil filter housing.  Then when you remove the oil
filter, any oil that spills will go into the bag.  I helps if you loosen the
filter first so that it can be turned by hand after the bag is in place.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stommel
78 320iS, 88 M3, 95 M3