[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Autothority Flowtech Air Box comments

I have the above airbox installed on my 1992 325i.  Yes there is a noticeable
noise increase, but it only gets real under 3/4 to full throttle. I can best
describe the sound as 'invigorating'.  The Autothority unit uses a K&N cone
type filter.  The total square inches for air intake it larger than the stock
filter element size.  Since the filter element in firmly hose clamped onto the
intake channel 'tube', I have not found any evidence of 'leakage' of air
particles into the intake stream.

Performance claims are not all the same.  I have observed (non- scientific) a
slight increase in acceleration 'feel'. Note that I am not saying the car 'is'
faster, it just 'feels' like it.  I do however feel very strongly that the car
does demonstrate a slightly more 'crisp' throttle response.  Please understand
that these observations are qualitative rather than quantitative.

Also, remember that when Chip manufacturers tout claims of performance
improvements they usually include an airbox and sometimes an exhaust upgrade in
the numbers.  Typically, a performance chip is designed to take advantage of a
less restrictive air path.  If you install a chip without these goodies, you
may not get the results you expect.

K&N recommends cleaning the filter element every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. I
clean mine whenever it looks as dirty as a stock element would (say 10,000
miles ?).  If you are looking for reduced maintenance, do not install K&N. If
you are looking for slight performance improvements, go ahead. Slightly more
performance also requires slightly more maintenance.

Personally, I like the airbox. (Hey, it weighs a little less. Or at least it
'feels' like it !)

joe.
1992 325i
1993 325i