[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC>Re: Guibo

> I bet there's others like me that would like to know what a GUIBO is.
> Something to do with the drive shaft???

Betweene the transmission output shaft (yoke) and the driveshaft is a
rubber component called a flex disc (and commonly known as a guibo). The
guibo is a rubber disc, typically about 6 inches or so in diameter and 1
or 2 inches thick. A series of holes go through the guibo and are steel
sleeved. In an alternating pattern the transmission yoke is attached at
one side and the driveshaft at the other. Hence the transmission and
driveshaft are connected, and dampened by the rubber between the holes.

There are several benefits to the guibo:
	1. Reduce general drivetrain lash
	2. Improve clutch life
	3. Helluva lot cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch kit ;-)
The only downside, IMHO, is probably a drop in drivetrain efficiency
(with the rubber in the middle); but once the power is on and the rubber
is loaded up, it's probably an unmeasurable difference.

Hope this helps,

Filippo Morelli
(E28 M5 regretably for sale - http://www.usa.net/~lmorelli/M5.html)