[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Speedometer conversion from 85Miles/Hr to 140Miles/Hr

Recently a six series owner enquired if he can change his 140 Miles/Hr
Speedometer with a 85 Miles/Hr unit.

My '82 528e came with an 85 Miles/Hr speedo (I think the DOT has something to do
with it). Starting with the '83 model year, the US Spec. e28 cars had 140
mile/hr speedos.

I wanted to replace my 85 Miles/Hr unit with a 140 Miles/Hr unit and my good
friend Steve Bernstein donated a 140 Miles/Hr unit.

The reason for replacing the unit was that while the 85 unit was just fine for
street use, I never knew how fast I was going when I was approaching the end of
the straight-away at the Bridgehampton race track in Long Island, NY.

To make a long story short, I replaced the speedo without any problems. Both the
speedos had the same 5 pin connectors. I have done some tests to check the speed
and odometer readings over the past month and everything has been fine.

The only problem is that the Mileage of the car on the odometer cannot be
changed (at least I don;t know how to change it and I don't want to know
either). So, while my car really has 150K the odometer shows 137K.

So, if the six series owner still wants to convert to the 85 unit, please
contact me.

Charles A. Karnati

'82 528e (150K, 140Miles/Hr Speedometer - 114 Miles/Hr Top speed)