[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Carbon fibre wheels

> From: Bruce McReynolds <bmcr@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:50:52 -0700
> Subject: Carbon fibre wheels
>
> A few weeks back I spotted an M5 in Santa Fe with what appeared to be five
> spoke carbon fibre wheels.  I think that they were BBS.  I have not seen
> these advertised anywhere.  Does anyone know anything about these?  They
> were stunning to look at, but I have no idea what they might cost.  Probably
> mucho dinero.

Don't know.

> Does anyone know of any trick to changing the oil filter on an E30 M3?  I
> seem to be unable to do so without pouring the oil in the filter all over
> the block and the suspesion components.  No problem getting the filter off.
> However, I can't extract it from above because of the airbox and various
> pipes and hoses.  I end up having to try to lower it into the waiting pan,
> but I don't have 4 ft. arms.  Invariably, I end up tipping it while trying
> to find something to rest it on until I can get under the car.  And then
> I've got a spill with oil all over engine and suspension.

First you must take out your airbox when changing the oil filter. It is
really easy and worth the trouble you will save. To remove your airbox,
loosen the two screws that mount it to the frame. Unclip the airflow
sensor wire. Loosen the clamp that attaches the intake hose to the
airbox. Lift the whole unit out. With a little practice you can do this
in about 2 minutes.

Using a filter wrench or filter pliers loosen the filter enough so that
you can turn it by hand (about .5 turn). Grab your 1 gallon ziplock bag
(that I forgot to tell you to buy) and slip it over the oil filter.
Unscrew the filter the rest of the way. Some oil will spill out, but it
should all go into the bag. Lower the filter a few inches and then point
the opening up and slightly towards the rear of the car. With a bit of
manipulation you should be able to bring the filter right out between
the two oil lines. Trust me, this works. I always retrieve the oil
filter from the top, and I never spill any oil.

Paul
'89 M3 99k Alpine White (Jim C. chip, K&N, Borla)
BMWCCA #130429

- --
    :|:       :|:     | Paul Nederveen, Software Engineer
  :|||||:   :|||||:   | voice: 919.472.2651 fax: 919.472.2940
.:|||||||:.:|||||||:. | email: pjneder@domain.elided