[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30 M3> RE: Exhaust Cam Gear

I had an exhaust cam gear installed on my M3 when I had a bunch of other
stuff fixed earlier this year.  The car already had a K & N and a
Landshark chip.
To me the addition of the chip made the car much more driveable around
town as the torque curve is in the more 'normal' driving range, much
like the E36 M3 (through more cc's).  I haven't noticed a top end drop
off and I haven't noticed any other adverse things.  For ~$90 it's money
well spent more a street / autocross car.
In my opinion the gear really helps in autocross since typically there
are many short bursts of acceleration, starting at a midrange RPM.  This
seems to give more 'grunt' coming out of the corners.
Keeping in mind that driver skill is most important in autocross, I
routinely beat other E30 M3's with chips and suspension mods but no cam
gears (Evan hasn't autocrossed yet - nudge, nudge :)).
On the other hand, several friends have removed their gears after
drivers school because of the loss of top end.  You get to choose what
you want.

matt brumwell
smoky mountain chapter 'cca
'75 2002	'87 535is	'88 M3