[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

6 Series Front End Shimmy & 6 Series Registry

83 633CSi 150K miles.  Front Brake Rotors and Pads replaced at 97,000 miles.
Rear brakes and front & rear shocks replaced at 119,00 miles.  Front end
shimmy with moderate brake pressure between 60 to 40 MPH.  Most noticable
when coming off Kansas Turnpike to toll both.  Local mechanic says its sounds
like a wharped brake rotor.  From the BMW Enthusiast's Companion sounds more
like a bad lower control arm bushing to me.  Interested it other opinions.
If you replace the control arm bushings, do you have to have the front end
re-alligned?  What other things should I look at, If that seems to be the
area of concern.  Otherwise, the car performs and handles like a dream, other
than the intermittent cruise control.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.  I suspect a bad electrical contact somewhere, but don't have the
foggiest idea of where to start or what to do.

In July I posted a message concerning the 6 Series Registry and Steve
Haygood.  I received 11 messages from fellow 6 Serices Owners interested in a
6 Series Digest and several who had similiar experiences with Steve.  I
E:Mailed BMW CCA and received a reply that my concerns had bee passed on to
the Vice President who oversees special registries and I should hear from
Steve in reference to the Newsletter he had promised for the $22 I sent to
join the Registry. Have not heard from Steve or BMW CCA since.

For all that E:Mailed a response to me, thanks. Sorry I have not replied
personally. I am not in a position to take on a 6 Series Digest.  It does
appear there are a few devoted 6 Series people on this one.  Have not had a
chance to check out the 7 Series Digest, but maybe the answer is to tag on to
them.  I could be wrong, but doesn't the 6 Serices also share a lot in common
with the 5 Series?  I've always had the impression that it's somewhere
inbetween a 5 and a 7, but with only two doors!

STAN SOPER
SSoper@domain.elided
83 633 Csi
BMW CCA# 121850