[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 733i KIA

>My neighbors 733i was KIA yesterday. One of our elderly citizens(there are
>a few here in Fl.) ran a red light and T-Boned this beautiful car. It could
>not have been hit more in the center. the impact was both doors on the
>passenger side. the car took the whack really well and did its job of
>absorbing the energy. there was no passenger in the car and there was no
>injuries to either driver. the doors moved in almost 10 inches, tho the
>point where the seat was compressed a few inches. there would definitely
>had been some injury to a pass. but certainly nowhere near life
>threatening. It was a shame that it happened but seeing the damage it
>reaffirms my faith in the sturdiness and surviveability of our beloved cars.

On a similar note I was one of the first on the scene at a fatal accident
20 miles north of Inverness last week.

The car involved was an Austin Maestro which had skidded into the path
of a large truck and hit it completely side on. The truck must have
been going slowly as it was going up a steep hill yet the passenger
door was pushed a third of the way into the DRIVERS side! The
passenger was pushed into the backseat at the other side of the car
and must have died instantly. The driver died, I think just after I
arrived, due to head injuries. I suspect her head hit the window very
head, only a side airbag that went to head level would have saved her.

My point in this graphic detail and in quoting the above article is to
demonstrate that we drive BMWs and consider ourselves safe but what about
our loved ones? My SO has a small Citroen and it does worry me. If BMW
can make safer cars why doesn't legislation exist to force all
manufacturers to do likewise?

Also, I was the only one with a first aid kit, standard issue as you know,
but I immediately felt frustrated as I've had no training in how to use
it. You've no idea how helpless it feels to have a kit but no training.
Why isn't a first aid certificate needed to get a driving licence? I
think you do need one in some countries.

Lastly this whole episode has made me realise it's time I bought a
fire extinguisher. We couldn't turn of the ignition or disconnect the
battery due to the condition of the car and nobody would have been
able to put out a fire had one started.

Sorry for the bandwidth but I don't want any of you to feel as useless
as I did that day. Also, do side airbags inflate to protect the head from
side impacts?
- --
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
mouth in a meeting with the users and prove it." (Ancient programming proverb)

NB: As I am a gibberring idiot any views expressed here are NOT the views
of Stolt Comex Seaway Ltd. john@domain.elided, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland