[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re M3 mis-shifts

For what it's worth - as I understand it most of the E36 M3 over-rev
mis-shifts have occurred not on an up-shift but on a down-shift, usually
from 5th to 3rd that ends up in 1st.  This is attributable I believe to
over-anxious shifting and could be alleviated by relaxing a little while
under braking/down-shifting.  My own closest brush with a missed shift in my
M3 came while up-shifting from 3rd to 4th while turning right (into Road
America's carousel), and when I realized the effect G-forces were having on
my efforts I adusted to shifting into 4th early rather than take the chance.
Beyond that, in 2+ years of driving an M3 both on the street and the track,
I have not had any problem with picking gears and can't sympathize with any
sort of "class" that might have done so and therefore join in a lawsuit.  I
did have a mishap in the wet at Summit Point last month - should I sue the
track? the tire mfr?  I think I learned what not to do next time...