[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E34> Bilstein Questions

Two similar (E34 535), but different questions have been asked
about Bilstein shocks.  One person wants original ride quality
while the other is more performance oriented.  From the information
provided, they both made the right choice.

General Bilstein Info
- ---------------------
My experience is with an E28 five series, using Dinan
springs and Bilstein sport shocks.  The E34 Bilsteins are
different part numbers, but the basics should be similar.
Looking at the Bavarian Autosport catalog, both E34 and E28
Bilsteins (and others) have part numbers starting with
"P36" and "B46" for front and rear respectively.

P36: P = Strut insert, 36 = piston diameter in mm.
B46: B = Shock,        46 = piston diameter in mm.

The last four numbers (e.g. P36 0243, for my E28 front strut)
give the model applicability and valving.

Usually there are three valving choices:
Comfort    = Original ride quality
Heavy Duty = Firmer than original
Sport      = Firmest (usually shorter for shorter/stiffer springs)