[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

GS300 vs 540i

Bob and friends,

While I drive  a 95 M3, my wife's car is 94 Lexus GS 300.  Others can comment
on the 540i (for my dollar, it would be my choice).   Someone several Digests
ago said, once you own a BMW, you are hooked for life (or something close to
that).   I know what they are talking about.

The GS 300 is fine automobile.  It's Italian heritage gives it a unique look.
The reliability and quality of Lexus engineering is written all over the
vehicle.  The Nak (and even stock) sound system literally, blows the doors off
anything Munich can put together.  The car is extremely comfortable.  The
interior is tasteful.  They haven't sold alot of them, so there is a
uniqueness to them.  The Lexus badge in your driveway says "success."  The GS
300 has all the bells and whistles you'll ever need.  For my speed and
acceleration cravings, it's a tad underpowered (make that alot underpowered)
compared to the 540i.  Bottom line.  my wife loves it.  However, driving it
does not impart an exciting, "I-am-one-with-my-car" experience.

A BMW is a car for someone who loves to drive.  Loves the feeling of speed,
control and seamless integration of man/woman and machine.  Someone on this
Digest once described driving their M3 as an intuitive extension of
themselves.

Of course, every one on this list is going to be biased toward the BMW.
However, you will make your choice based on your needs and values.  The Lexus
dealers are on the high side for service dollars, but the quality of work
performed and treatment they give their customers warrant it.  I can't comment
on the expected service costs of a 540i, but there are more non-dealer avenues
for you to pursue for service than exist for Lexus.   You can e-mail privately
if you have more questions.

Larry Seiden
95 M3  ready to rip and roar