[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<Z3> Current Market Conditions

As a result of Phil Marx's post to the digest last week about the pricing on
the 97 models I happened to visit one of the BMW dealers in the Washigton,
D.C. area to see what was on the lot.  Much to my surprise there were 20 (yes
that's twenty) 96 Z3's sitting there.  Seven of these were from Westchester
BMW (NY).  One of the salespeople told me they had gotten the Z3's along with
a bunch of 7's that apparently Westchester BMW couldn't move.  These cars are
definitely not sold as I could have had any one of them.

Quite frankly I am not exactly sure what all this means.  While my previous
belief has been that Z's were going for MSRP I certainly can not see anyone
walking onto a lot with 20 sitting there and offer MSRP.  A reliable source
tell's me that in fact Z3's are now going for less than list.

Since those of us in the market for a Z3 have dollars involved, I would be
very interested in the experience of others from around the country.
 Personally, I am waiting for the 97's as they list for less than the 96's if
you order traction control which went down from $1,100 to $425.  Also, we
will be able to get a beige top in addition to the black top that is now the
only color available.

Based on this information I can not see anyone currently ordering a Z3 and
waiting for several months for delivery.  I am very curious what the
situation is in other major markets around the country.  For those of you out
there who are interested please let us know what you find at the dealer's in
your area.

Best Regards!

Fred Meloan
BMW CCA 86321 NCC
Maryland tag "Z3"
(have the tag, now waiting for '97 Atlanta Blue w/beige top)