[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 1984 318i engine miss

>From: Donny Barger <70420.2112@domain.elided>
>Date: 11 Sep 96 21:53:13 EDT
>Subject: 1984 318i engine miss
>
> deleted...
>
>... It was like the engine shut down.
>Once it was bad enough that the seat belt locked (good thing I was =
wearing it).=20

>Any ideas as to what could be causing this miss.  Since it is not a =
regular
>miss, only occurs when I am accelerating hard, and because it feels as =
if the
>engine kills (which it doesn't) I am assuming that it is electrical.  =
Of course,
>who am I to assume?  Any way, I would like to fix this as I am =
accustomed to
>hard acceleration. I know what you are thinking.... how hard does a 318
>accelerate?  The answer.  Not hard enough.
>
>Thanks,=20
>Donny
>1984 318i (dreaming of a faster, much faster bimmer)

Donny,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Does the '84 have points or electronic =
ignition?  My old '79 320 had a problem once where the wire that =
connects the points had a break in it, and did the
something similar - the car would start and idle great, but die =
immediately off idle due to the centrifugal advance in the distributor.  =
Cheap points.  If you have electronic ignition, the problem could still =
be similar.

Just an idea...

John
crowej@domain.elided