[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 stock stereo mods

I was a pro sound engineer for a leading manufacturer. After living with the stock
system for a while, this is what I came up with for a replacement. I left the speakers,
they are not "that bad". The stock amplifier has the crossovers built into it and
although I did not check the crossover points I did feel they needed some changing. I
removed the stock amplifier, replacing it with an Alpine 4 channel model, I then put in
4, Boston Acoustics Pro 5.4 2 way crossovers (crossover points are approximately 3500HZ
at 12db octave) I set the front two tweeter controls to -3db due to the fact that the
front tweeters are much closer to your ear than the kick panel speakers. The door
mounted midranges are not used as I didn't like the way they sounded. As for the rear
speakers I left them alone because your rear soundstage is not as important as your
front soundstage (when was the last time you went to a concert and heard the singer from
the rear or a movie with all the speakers at the rear of the theater?). I changed the
stock head unit to a Sony minidisc changer but the stock head with the right level
matching device for the amplifier you are using is fine too. After a while I added a SAS
self powered 8" base tube, just enough to get the presence of some bass at this point I
set the low pass crossover on the front and rear speakers to 80hz, that is all a 5.25"
speaker can really reproduce effectively. This system sounds good it is NOT a boomer but
a nice sounding system that does not change the stock appearence or take up a whole
trunk with a mess of gear. If you have any questions email me at r2l4@domain.elided . Sorry
for taking up so much bandwidth!!