[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil Change

>I drive an '84 318i with 155K miles and this weekend, I plan to change my
>oil and filter.  I expect to drive at least 200-300 more miles before the
>engine work on Saturday,
>a) Can anyone recommend a product that I should run through my system before
>the oil change ?
>        There's nothing specifically wrong with the running of the engine,
>but I am looking to get more
>        bang for the buck from the oil change.
>b) I know that my valve seals also leaking oil.  Is there something I can do
>to simply slow down the
>        leak ?  I will be take care of this problem for good later on.
>c) I will be changing the lower pan gasket because that is where I suspect a
>another leak.  I want to really            clean the underside of the car
>after the change so that I can check to see if the leak is from
>somewhere else.  Can someone recommend a good product to cut the oil and
>grime under there ?

a.  DO NOT use an engine or oil flush.  That could start to loosen up deposits
that have accumulated over the past 155k and finish off      your engine.  To
get the most bang for the buck, after the oil has drained out of the pan add
about a half quart of fresh oil to help      further rinse out sludge in the
bottom of the oil pan.  Always use a new BMW oil filter when changing oil.

b.  There is no mechanic in a can.  Two ways to fix a leak.  Plug it or keep
thickening up the fluid until it doesn't flow.  Save your      money for the
repair.

c.   Gunk, available at most discount stores is inexpensive.  Be careful of the
urge to blast off all the build up with a pressure washer.        You could
unseat old gaskets and electrical items.  General clean first then go back and
spray on more Gunk and clean with a       parts brush.  BTW, you might not want
to do this in your driveway.

       Happy Motoring

Dave Lehmann
75200.1151@domain.elided
'96  328i/A...///M-Technic...Alpine White
'86  528e/A...214k orig eng./trans.