[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Valentine 1 installation in E36 M3

Stuart,

With regards to where to hide the V1 radar detector in a 96
M3, perhaps my current and, possibly, future plans will be of help.
First, I bought the V1 unit, remote display and remote audio control.
I put the remote display in the shelf below the OBC and
the remote audio control where the ashtray below the armrest
used to be located (if i ever get a BMW phone, this will have
to be relocated). I'm using the powerclip attached to the hot
lead to the cigarette lighter so that power to the radar is
available even if the car is turned off.

My current installation has the wires hidden from view both
to the passenger's visor, the remote display and the remote
audio control. The A-pillar cover snapped off easily to allow
hiding the wire leading to the visor. The triangular visor mount
already has a wiring hole and I enlarged a groove along the
base of the triangular mount to allow the wire to exit
without crimping. Now, only a ~2" inch section of black
wire is exposed to attach to the V1 unit which slides into
the Valentine-visor clamp- making it easy to remove and install
(still a pain tho). Note: i have to insert a folded piece of fabric
between the headliner and the visor in order to make the V1 sit
perfectly horizontal. The other end of the wire was snaked behind the
glove compartment to the supplied T-junction which takes the
power lead and outputs to both the V1 and the remote audio.
Wires were buried below the central console next to the stickshift
and inserted towards the central tray with the cupholder and up
through the detachable corner piece (held in place by scres)
where the ashtray used to reside.

This installation required removal/repositioning of the glovebox,
OBC and shift-boot. I also ran an extra wire to the vicinity of the
remote audio for one my future installations (if necessary). Mike Valentine
himself advised that some folks have buried the V1 unit inside a
hollowed-out head-rest! He said that the leaather would not attenuate
radar signals significantly (but a human head might). This obviously
means that when a passenger occupies the front seat- the
unit would have to repositioned. Since the headrests are somewhat
expensive (>$400 i believe), i will postpone this. The other alternative
is to hollow out the passenger visor and insert the V1. This would require
more serious fabrication work (to make it esthetic and to accomodate the
bulky V1).

BTW, i had to attach a small piece of velcro to the V1 unit so that
it would vibrate against its bracket when driving over rough roads.

dan
96 M3 Lux, Dinan airbox/exhaust, snorkel, RD bars
87 Dinan 325i Stroker with many mods, http://dsrna.agi.org/dinan325i.html