[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stock Stereo

Ron (rbrowne@domain.elided) wrote:

>Whan I first purchased my E36 318is in 1992, I too wanted to keep most
>everything stock.  Then after doing research, found out that stock is not
>always the best quality OR value.  You are about to drop almost $600 on a CD
>changer simply because it works with the factory radio?  For $500 you can
>get a BETTER AM/FM/Cassette head unit with MORE power and better quality
>sound AND a 10 or 12 disc changer.  To top it off, you can easily sell that
>factory radio either on this list or in the Roundel for at least $200
>EASILY.  Mine went out the door the same day I advertised it in the Roundel.
>Selling price was $275.    Go to Yahoo and Search on Car Audio and any
>number of sites will lead you to mail order places that list Alpine,
>Pioneer, JVC, Clarion, etc...

I'm sure you're right Ron, both about the sound system and the security system...
BUT, especially in the case of the sound system, the stock BMW (Alpine) head
unit looks *right* in the car...it looks like it belongs there. An aftermarket
head unit just would not look esthetically correct in the car, in terms of the
perfect size, uniformity of the buttons, the amber display lights, etc. Of
course this is MY reason for wanting to stay stock...esthetics are very important
to me!

Another reason, especially with regard to the security system, is that it was
designed to work specifically with the car. I'm sure there are better, less
expensive, more feature laden systems out there, BUT do they work seamlessly
with the car, do they require additional wiring, resulting in problems with
reliability later on, do they double lock the doors, etc...

Having said this, I must admit that even though I am by no means an audiophile,
the HK sound system in my '96 M3 is somewhat of a disappointment. It's not *bad*,
but is probably not worth the extra $600 IMO. Several list members have suggested
that the weak link in the system is actually the head unit, so I will be very
interested in your feedback after you've installed your Pioneer system. Please
let us know ASAP!

With regard to the security system, several people with '96 E36 cars have complained
of false alarms, even with the microphone sensitivity turned down all the way. I think
I'll wait for a confirmed fix, before ordering the BMW system. Depending on how this
turns out, I may end up with a non-BMW alarm after all. The Crimestopper alarm in my
'87 325, although a very simple system, has always worked perfectly, and never falsed.
Since the introduction of the so called "Coded Driveaway Protection" I've not heard of
any BMWs being stolen, so to me anyway, the security system's main value is its remote
keyless entry system!

Alan Kamyab
1996 ///M3 Cosmos Black (sans cupholders!)