[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> re: E21 Steering wheels to 2002

In a previous post suggesting a horn ring kludge to make a 320i
steering wheel work in a 2002, I forgot mention of a couple of washers
used as part of the steering wheel adaptation:
  Because of the length of the integral plastic tab that cancels the
signals on the 320i wheel, a plastic bushing (aprox 1/4" thick), =97
salvaged in this case from the base of a spare 2002 manual trans.
shifter (the one under the shifter ball if I recall) =97 was slipped over=

the wide part of the steering shaft. The edges of the turn signal
cancelling tab on the 320i steering wheel were bevelled slightly with a
file.
  Additionally, two metal washers (aprox. 3/16" in thickness total) were
fitted over the steering shaft splines; followed by the 320i wheel into
the splines; the 2002s thin spring washer over the threads, and a 22 mm
self locking nut. Test for tightness etc. Finally, snap in the roundel. =

  (The additional 3/16" was required =97 on my '75 2002a at least =97 so
that the 320i wheel wouldn't rub and make noise on the bottom front edge
of the plastic pad sitting at the top of the 2002 steering column. The
upper pad covering the column had curled slightly at the bottom where it
joined the lower part that holds the horn ring, making a scratching
sound against the hub when turning the wheel.)
  =

Bill Boyd  '02s and a CS etc.