[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Valve Cover --- 1991 model 535i (E34)

I have an oil leak dripping from the back of the head onto the exhaust
manifold on my 1991 model 535.  I believe the source of the oil to be from
a leaking valve cover gasket although I am concerning the rocker arm cover
gasket on the rear of the head may be the source of the leak.

I have obtained a valve cover gasket from my local dealer as I plan to
replace the gasket and check the valve clearances this weekend.  Since I
just purchased the vehicle last May with 36K miles on it, this will be the
first valve adjustment job for me.

Do I need to put any type of gasket compound on the new valve cover gasket
when I reinstall the valve cover?  Has anyone experienced failures of the
rocker arm access cover gasket on the back of the head of the M30 engine?
Currently with so little clearance I cannot rule out the possibility that
the rocker arm access cover gasket may be leaking, but with the valve cover
removed I should be able to tell if this gasket is a problem.

Any comments would be appreciated.