[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Comparing Audi A4 to BMW

> From: "Mitchel Freedman" <freedman@domain.elided>
> Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:49:13 -0400
> Subject: A4 vs 328i - oh, oh...
>
> Beware, a heretic enters the discussion....
>
> I took an Audi A4 for a test drive today...and it's killing me  -
> especially since I  was about to plunk my hard earned cash down on a new
> 328i '97 -  but  it's a better (read smoother) ride, has a nicer interior
> (read refined), handles just as well (read 4 wd), and is less expensive
> (read <$5K list). It seems like  a better buy......arrrrgh, change my
mind,
> quick.....or maybe not.
>
> Oh, yea , there is one significant drawback - the engine is only a 174hp.

> It doesn't have nearly the kick of the 328i. And with the salesman in the
> passenger seat (read 6'5", 280lbs) I couldn't get a feel for what the
> engine could deliver anyways.

I have owned a 1985 Audi 5000 for about 7 years and 100k miles.  The car
was originally purchased from the dealer for $22,000 and I purchased it for
$7,500 with 44K miles on it.  I have really enjoyed this vehicle and am
very glad I made the purchase back in 1989.  As of last May I gave the car
to my 16 year old son who just obtained his drivers license and I purchased
a 1991 model 535i to replace the Audi.

Mitch, I highly recommend against the purchase of the Audi A4 in favor of
purchasing a BMW, either new or used.  While I have driven the A4 and
looked it over carefully, I cannot recommend the purchase of the A4.  Let
me comment that I really liked the A4 both in styling and performance and
if someone gave me the car I would be a proud owner.  However, if I am
going to commit my own funds to the purchase of an expensive vehicle
(defined as anything over $25K) I believe the Audi to be a poor investment.

In my opinion the A4 will not be able to hold its value over time as
compared to other cars in its class such as the BMW.  One reason is the
fact that there will not be the quantity of cars sold in the U.S. that
supports a loyal base of consumers ---- particularly used car consumers.
Another reason the value of the Audi over time quickly diminishes is the
fact that parts are expensive and the source of supply of parts for the
Audi is limited.  Much more limited than the BMW.

As a new BMW owner I have either received or potentially will receive great
benefit from support resources such as:  BMW Digest, BMW CCA, the Roundel,
and three dealers and numerous independent shops in Houston specializing in
BMW's.  The Audi support network just is not as substantial as BMW's mainly
because of the number of vehicles in the system.  (By the way there is an
Audi Digest.)

As concerns performance and handling the A4 is quite good although as
another Digest member had mentioned, it is slightly underpowered.  It seems
a shame Audi has not received wider acceptance here in the U.S.  But facts
are facts.

While I do not advocate the leasing of vehicles as I believe that leasing
is not very cost effective.  If you really wanted an Audi I would highly
recommend you lease the car in order to make a clean get away in two to
three years if things such as resale value are important to you.

By the way, I have done all of my own mechanical work on the Audi over the
time I have had it.  Therefore, I have avoided some of the large expenses
which could have been incurred maintaining the car and replacing worn or
defective parts.  Over the years as people have asked me about getting a
used Audi my comment has been, "If you are willing to do your own work, you
will enjoy may of the car's features but if you have to depend upon someone
else to keep it going --- don't."

Good Luck.  If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Barthe in Houston (A happy BMW owner and still Audi owner!)