[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E12> Brake caliper problem

Gregory  wrote.....The caliper won't come off ....

The same thing happened on my '80 528i as I was re-installing the calipers I
had just finished rebuilding. There are two possible fixes. You've probably
already tried the first.
1) Remove the brake pads. Remove the "good" caliper bolt. Push the outboard
caliper piston as far into its bore as possible. Retracting the piston may
give you enough room to slide the caliper toward the center of the car and
clear the broken bolt. This worked for me. With the caliper off I was able to
remove the bolt with vise grips.

2) If the broken off bolt is too long for the above to work, you will have to
disassemble the caliper. These are two piece calipers, held together with
bolts that are accessible from one side of the caliper. In order to
reassemble you'll need new bolts and o-rings.

Be sure you replace the bolt with a grade 10.9 fastener, not something from
Billy Bob's hardware!

Good Luck
Paul Shovestul     <PShovestul@domain.elided>
'86 325