[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E24> Radical DIY Customizing

Have a look at this URL for reference:

http://www.shout.net/~bsanders/633_mod3.jpg

After pulling the front bumper off my 633 today, I was stricken with the
powerful desire to reshape the area below the front grille.  I quite like
the shape of the grille area on E-24's; but the huge bumpers leave much to
be desired.

As you can see from the Photoshop sketch I've referred to above, what I'd
like to do is create a smoothly curving skirt/spoiler that blends into the
fenders, extending the line of the grille downward.  The sketch doesn't
show it; but I would also fabricate/adapt some bumper stubs (if necessarry
for DOT compliance or just for looks).

This whole idea has grown from seeing all the wild and creative variations
on the 2002 in the current issue of the Roundel.  I particularly like the
one with no bumpers, no trim, bulged fenders, and a huge front spoiler.
Very tough looking.  I was just wondering if I could do a similar treatment
to my 6-er - without ruining it or preventing it from being converted back
to stock at some point.

The skirt (cowl?) that I envision would be fabricated from fiberglass over
a carved polyfoam form (attached to the vehicle and carved in place), with
attachment points laminated-in later.  It could be attached to the previous
bumper and bumper-cover attachment points, thus making retro-conversion
almost trivial.  Since I would be working in fiberglass, I could make
changes to the design quite easily by just cutting out parts and then
re-laminating more material over it.  Anybody here have experience with
this sort of thing?  2002 owners?  Have any of you ever seen a 6-er with
radical customized bumper areas?  The one problem I'm concerned with is how
to make the unit symmetrical (beyond what my eye can easily detect) and the
shape subtle and smooth.

Of course, once I do the front, I'd have to do the rear bumper area, too...

Comments, suggestions and admonishments welcomed.

Barry