[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Gasoline odor

I have an 88 528e and I keep smelling fuel.  Last night, I popped the
hood and got a good whiff of gas which only lasted a minute or so.  I
ran the engine for about 5 minutes and looked and sniffed all over for
any signs of a leak, but to no avail.  No wet spots anywhere.

This has been going on for a while now, but it seems to be getting a bit
stronger lately, as the smell is coming in through the ventilation
system (ack!). I get the smell both on cold starts and on warm starts.

My mileage is I think good (21~22 city, 28 hwy) and has consistent
since I bought her in Feb.  Acceleration is pretty good for the car (I
think), though in morning it is a bit sluggish when I try to take it
easy.  The car idles beautifully and remains constant.

Will look more for it, but could use some help.

Thanks

Doug Schmidek
'88 528e w/ 137,000K