[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> Oil Vapor Collection Tank

Bob Stommel wrote:

> When I converted my 320iS engine from fuel injection to sidedraft Webers, I
> attached a used Techron bottle with zip ties to one of the engine compartment
> fender well brackets (I think it was one that was used for part of the air
> flow meter).  I then ran a hose from the valve cover vent to the bottle and
> clamped both ends.  I check the bottle every few months and empty whatever
> collects.  Make sure you drill some small holes near the top of the bottle
> for pressure relief.  Also, if you sand and paint the bottle black, it looks
> better in the engine compartment.

When I put a 2002 2l engine with dual sidedrafts into my 320iS, I did something
similar.  I took a black plastic toilet bowl float and drilled holes in the
side, bottom and top.  In the side hole, I put a brass hose fitting for
the vent hose from the valve cover.  In the bottom hole, I put a PVC
pipe fitting with a plug as a cleanout.  In the top hole, I put a breather
filter assembly from some random American car.  I found a good one by
searching the aisles of my local Pep boys.  It is quite small, but has a
nice little filter.  I attached this to the same bracket which Bob used.
Total cost was around $7, and it looks pretty cool.

JAM Industries, which advertises in Circle Track magazine, offers a very
nice machined aluminum breather catch tank.  I've seen one, and it
is very slick looking.  I think it is about $35.