[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Turbo 2002

>Hi Guys...
>I think I remember seeing references to a turbocharged 2002 or 2002 tii.
>Does anyone know if A) There is/was such a thing as a turbo 2002 tii,
>                    B) What it would take to make a regular 2002 tii
>                       into a turbo edition?
>I have a 72 tii, which is a lot of fun, but I'm sure it would be even
>better if it could be turbocharged!  Then maybe I could catch that 400
>hp porsche that passed me like it was shot from a gun! ;-))
>Please reply to my email address as well as posting if possible, as I
>don't always get to read all the digests that arrive.  Thanks.

Yes there is such a thing.  In fact turbo #149 is sitting on my showroom
floor right now. All you need to do to recreate the turbo is purchase a
whole lot of expensive parts, drop your compression, add vented rotors,
different axles, wider wheels, new injection pump and auxiliary air
regulator, alter the body to include flairs, rectangular tail lights,
plastic grills, oil cooler, larger radiator, special seats, guages,
steering wheel, fuel tank, spoilers, etc.  Don't forget to alter your VIN
to fit the range of the 1672 that were built.

If you really want power in a tii and original-ness is not important, try
bore and stroking to 2.3 liters, 45DCOE Webers, 316 cam, headers, oil
cooler, alloy rods and forged pistons, titanium valve retainers.  Mine was
dyno'd at over 200hp.  The turbo makes about 160-170 depending on who you
talk to. My 2.3 still pulls from 2000 RPM and makes over 100hp already by
3500 rpm.  The turbo won't come close to this performance.  With 5-speed OD
and quick ratio steering box, the mutant is a much finer car to drive.  The
turbo is simply unique, stock, cool, historical, and fun over 4000 rpm. But
with Webers.... no lag.

- -Phil Marx   BMWCCA #6021