[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E24>BMW L6

>I was just talking to a long time BMW salesman who told me that the L6 and L7
>had problems with the stitching on the leather covered dash and door panels
>coming apart.  He said that BMW was fixing the problem by replacing the dash
>and door panels while the cars were under warrantee, but if it happens to you
>now you are on your own.  Does anyone have more information on this?
>
>I have heard that some of the late E23 735i and L7 models had a problem with
>airbags "popping" or going off when the cars hit a big pot hole.  Did any of
>the late model E24 635i, L6 or M6s have this problem?  What are most people
>doing, replacing the airbag wheel with a regular wheel?
>Kevin Kelly >BMW CCA #50039

The problem was in the shrinking of the leather on the special areas it was
applied.  The factory warranty fix was to replace the door panels or dash
with the normal E24 parts *not* leather covered.  The air bag problem was
on the E24 only, as far as I can recall, and the fix was to replace the
steering wheel with the conventional non-SRS unit and afix a label
attesting to such.

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021