[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36>Just Installed Jim C. Chip

Hi guys-

Just a few thoughts on the installation:

1.  Why is the DME such a FORTRESS?  Did  I really have to open a rubber
panel (3 clips),  open another rubber panel (4 studs), bend back 6 aluminum
tabs (one broke off on rebending), remove 8 large TORX screws (4 on each
side), and remove one little TORX screw, just to get to the chip?  This all
worked, but my mechanic had said "just open the panel with 3 clips".  Did I
do this the hard way?

2. I found the DME sitting in some sort of a rack that looked as though it
was made for a larger DME box.  The DME was free to bounce around, and
clearly could not be fastened in the rack.  I also noticed that the DME had a
sticker on it indicating that it had been built in 1995 (my car is a '93).  I
know that the dealer installed at least one recall involving the DME- is it
possible that they replaced the whole DME, not just the chip?  They must have
(duh), because the tabs appeared intact.  This seems like a waste, or a
ripoff of the warranty.

Questions-  Does anyone know if the new (recall) DME is smaller than the old
one, and should the dealer have installed a new rack which would hold it
securely?  I was concerned about the DME being loose in the compartment,
metal to metal, so I cut a section of old soft carpet and placed the DME in
it before closing up the installation.  Any problem with this?

Initial impressions- I only had time for a short test drive tonight, but I am
very pleased with the results.  Smoothness with more power in a more useable
range is the general impression- I no longer feel the cams adjust themselves
through their steps, and power is a steady pull above 2000 RPM.  No more
peakiness on hitting 3800-4000 RPM.  The other big change is the engine
doesn't seem to flatten out and run out of breath at about 6000 RPM, like
before.  The pull is smooth and strong right through the redline.  Mid-range
power felt much improved, too.  I can already tell that this chip was worth
the money (and the trepidations during the installation).

I expect better results, even, when my K&N filter arrives, because I believe
the chip is optimized for the K&N.

One of the reasons I bought this chip is that I just purchased the 325i off
the lease, and my theory was that a chipped 325i wouldn't be much different
from a 328i.  I have driven a 328i, and the subjective feel of my test drive
is that I was right (of course, that's what I want to believe).  Hmm... about
$150 for a chip and a K&N filter vs $18K to upgrade to a 328i.  Sounds like a
good deal to me.

Private joke- Jim, I know you're reading this.  Those Flo's fried clams are
as good as ever....had some last week. :-)    Thanks for the great chip.

Jay Kenty
'93 E36 325i