[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36>M3 mods

- ------------------------- Begin Original -------------------------
To: scotthung@domain.elided
From: swaggon@domain.elided (Dr. Steven Waggoner)
Subject: M3 mods

Scott:

I have recently purchased a 96 M3 and, as you can attest, am already
considering some "personalized" enhancements of this fine car.  Your
auto's
modifications to date are quite impressive and you clearly have more
experience in these matters than I.  Some questions (and comments) for
you:

First, have your modifications resulted in a clearly apparent improvment
in
daily driving performance over the stock vehicle?  I do not presently
track
race or autocross though do drive my car hard and, when safe to do so,
enjoy
the feel of all available ponies on a quite, long stretch (or twist) of
road.  As you are aware, many drivers who have added just a chip, or
T-body,
or air filter mods have been somewhat disappointed with the lack of
apparent
increase in H-power. I don't particularly care if a dyno records an
increase
in 20-30 HP if I won't feel it in my spine as it's tossed  into the back
of
the driver's seat !

Could you provide me with the addresses of some of the companies you
have
purchased products from to enhance your car?  I am particularly
interested
in Euro spec. modifications, as presumably BMW has tested these
components
extensively in the European vehicles.

Price aside, do you see any downside to supercharging as the most
efficient
means of gaining an extra 100 HP over stock? I am a shadetree mechanic
and
don't know much about engines, especially the stresses that could lead
premature engine failure (assuming regular scheduled maintenance and not
driving like a maniac).  Many autos are now sold stock with
superchargers
which lends me some comfort.  On the other hand, if I can forget about
getting 100 K miles out of a supercharged M3 without a major engine
overall,
I'd think twice before having one installed. I drive about 22 K mles a
year,
80% highway, if this has any bearing.

That's it for now...happy motoring.

Steven Waggoner
- ------------------------- End Original -------------------------

The M3 clearly has more than adequate power, but we're always striving
for more once we get comfortable with the current level of performance.
The few Hp gains here and there are small. The best bang for the buck is
to just remove the 2 pieces from inside the stock box and ad a K&N and
ram air snorkle for $100. You may have a little wait before a chip is
ready.   My real perfomance improvement came from
suspension mods which have been slow to develop for the95 much less
for the 96, but hang in there and enjoy the stock ride which is suppose
to be an improvement over the 95. The stock is far from shabby, but
don't
let anyone tell you improvements can't be made

>Could you provide me with the addresses of some of the companies you
>have purchased products from to enhance your car?
> I am particularly interested in Euro spec. modifications, as
presumably
> BMW has tested thesecomponentsextensively in the European vehicles.

Check out your Roundel magazine and join the BMW CarClub ASAP if not
already. I have talked to Anthony from BMP, Dennis from ELP, Henry from
Noble, Lauri from Bavarian Autosport, Ray Korman at Korman. Mike or
Albert at ERT. Mike at  DINAN . Autothority. Get info and catalogs from
the
 if available. The research is half the fun.
Also send for  Racing Dynamic and AC Schnitzer catalog.

>Price aside, do you see any downside to supercharging as the most
>efficient means of gaining an extra 100 HP over stock?

EXPLOSION? MELT DOWN? IMMEDIATE WARANTEE BUSTER?

>On the other hand, if I can forget about getting 100 K miles out of
 >a supercharged M3 without a major engine overall,
>I'd think twice before having one installed.

SO WOULD I !! TIME WILL TELL.
Scott H.