[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil Service - What To Do

I realize there is a lot of discussion about types of oil and frequency of
oil services.  Being concerned about these issues, I read all the posts with
great interest.  Having on about 2000 miles on my 96-M3, I called the chief
master mechanic at my dealership and asked his opinion.  Let me share with
you his comments:

1.  Do not change the break in oil until 7,000 miles
2.  At that point, do the first oil service (oil & filter) and continue the
oil service regimen per the service indicator lamps with the BMW recommended
oil (Syntex) & filter.  (obviously, you can take your oil & filter and go
anywhere to have the service done)
3.  Wait until 20,000 miles before changing over to synthetic oil to allow
for full break-in.
4.  He recommends Syntex, as it is the BMW approved oil. (FYI - personal
choice and all of that)

After reading all the posts on this Digest and talking to the mechanic, I am
a little concerned.  Here are my areas of confusion:

1.  When should the first oil service happen?
2.  At what point do I change over to synthetic?
3.  How often should I do an oil service?

Before talking to the mechanic and based on my Digest readings, my plan was
to do an oil service every 5,000 miles and immediately go to Mobil 1 or
similar on the first oil change.  My concern is not the brand but the type
and frequency that the service should be done.  I don’t want to be overly
compulsive and I certainly don’t want to neglect the car - something prudent
and in the middle would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.  TIA.

Stuart M.
96-M3