[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

I was a Crash-Test Dummy

Juan,
First off, welcome to the Golden Gate Chapter!
I've been driving various BMWs and Porsches since the very early 70's. So
far, (knock on wood) I've only had one really nasty accident, in a 76 2002.
Coming down off the San Mateo bridge westbound around 11:00 PM, a large
american sedan on my left, and following a Suzuki Samurai... The Samurai
suddenly begins spinning off the road to the right, and there, right in
front of me is a Mercury Cougar. Stopped dead, lights OUT in the middle of
the Freeway.  I'm going about 65-70, and dive into the brakes hard. Nowhere
to go either side. No way out....DAMN!
Surreal time: (Oh sh&#, I'm gonna hit that car.) Threshold breaking to the
max. Not gonna make it this time. Damn, paint job just a few weeks old.
Remember to relax, Brace myself against the wheel (which I broke). Knees
bent? Elbows bent? The car's never even had a door ding. At the last
moment, let's pitch her to the left to increase the crush zone (Amazing
that I could be so calm).

All estimates assume I had it down to about 40-45MPH before impacting the
rear of the other car.

WHUMP!!!

Are we still here? Yep! Cool... Everything still attached? Yep! Even
better... Everything still working? Yep! Excellent...  OK, key off. Its
clear we're not going to drive away from this one.
Can I get out? Yep, the door still works. Open the door! Ut-oh... Can't
move??? Oh yeah, undo the seat belt. Duh. Amazing, the windscreen is still
intact. Radio still playing. Unbuckled the seat belt and stepped out. Oh
boy, am I gonna be sore tomorrow...
How's the (stupid idiot) in the parked car? (She was fine until her lawyer
got ahold of her.)
Snif-Snif-------Gas leak... Clear out!
No fire, the car just pulled the fuel line from the rear to the filter off
as the engine went down and out the bottom of the car. Less than a pint of
fuel hit the ground.

Final results?
Me? A Major impact. My only injuries, a red line on my neck where the
shoulder harness rubbed. I hurt all over for about a week.
The car? Totalled. Steering wheel broken, Shock towers pulled in.
Engine/Trans headed out the bottom and towards the rear. Passenger
compartment almost untouched. My right knee did knock the radio console off
kilter to the right slightly.
Both doors opened and latched fine. Slight buckling of the roof, but the
sunroof still opened and closed.
I could still steer the car around my warehouse. Brakes intact, no flat
tires. Front wrap pushed back, radiator wrapped around the engine.

bought a 5-series. Currently I've got an 85 325e (Dinanized and now for
sale) and a 1990 M3 (Cinnobar (arrest-me) Red).

Cool finale:
Went to Germany to do the Club sponsored Nurbergring driving school a few
years ago, and had the pleasure of visiting the BMW test facility outside
of Munich. I got to personally thank the engineers who crash test these
cars for helping to save my life. I'll admit it brought tears to my eyes to
have that special level of closure.
                  ...and then we went on to the Ring!
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
- -=-=-=-=-=-
        -Loren-
   Loren Luke, SqueezeBox Consulting: Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA #91000
        1990 M3, Arrest-Me-Red --> www.squeezebox.com/car.html 60,000 Miles
                        1985 325e (Dinanized) 202,002 miles (1.06 Light-seconds)
                  The 325e is now for sale at: www.squeezebox.com/forsale.html
                                                   ( OO====00=M3=OO )
SqueezeBox does Digital Video Capture & Compression for CD & Web producers