[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

e24 rims

17x8 rims on a 635? Sounds good, what offset did you get? I think
20mm is correct. BTW my 83 633 has Racing Dynamics springs which lower
the rear 2.75" from stock. That is with Bilsteins Sports on the lowest
spring perch. Problem is I have too much negative camber in the back
about 3.9deg. Solution purchase either Korman or Dinan adjustable rear
subframe. Any experiences?

Tires 235/45, wow must be expensive. No rear fender rolling required???

<<<<<

I don't know what the offset is.  I was told that these particular wheels
were "made for my car" (635CSi).  They do seem to fit perfectly.  The
wheels are Borbet 8 1/2 Jx17 H2, A 85 713.  Maybe someone can look these
up and find out the offset.  The tires are Sumitomo HTR 45Z, 235/45-ZR17.

I have the Alpina springs and I don't think they lower the car anywhere
near the 2.75" that you have.  When I bought the car (the dealer had put
the springs on) I was told that the car was about 1" lower than normal.
I have never measured it relative to a "stock" car but I can tell you
that the bottom of my air dam is almost exactly 6" off of the pavement.
I have had a fair amount of trouble scraping the air dam when going
into or out of steep driveways.  If your car is 1.75" lower than mine, I
don't know how you can get around town without kill yourself and the car.

I lowered the settings on my Bilsteins one notch to the third notch from
the top (I don't remember how many there are total) when I put the new
wheels on (I thought there was too much space above the wheel).  The car
looks very good now and performs exceptionally well.  It is very flat in
corners but there is still a little oversteer.  Personally, I'd rather
have a touch of oversteer than understeer.  It's much easier to control
and, after all, the 6 is an Autobahn cruiser not a time trial champ.  It
rides wonderfully at 120 MPH!

I don't know anything about the adjustable subframes you mentioned.  My
car also has some negative camber in back (that's with the top of the
tires closer together than the bottom right?).  It's visible when you
look at it when parked but does not seem to be "wrong" or affect the
handling of the car or the tire wear.  The rear wheels were always canted
"in" even when I had the stock TRX wheels and tires on it.

To tell you the truth, I don't know how expensive the tires are.  I got
the wheels and tires as a package and they didn't break it out as
seperate pieces.  I've go the Sumitomo tires and they are identical in
appearance to the Dunlops.  The shop showed me the two tires side by side
and they look identical with the same tread pattern and markings.  The
only difference seems to be the name on the side.  Of course, they could
have differences in construction and compound but they have the same
tread wear ratings also.  I'd recommend taking a look at these if you
need tires.  They handle like they are glued to the road.  I can't say
about tread wear yet because I only have about 5,000 miles on them so far
but there are no obvious signs of wear yet.

These wheels and tires went onto my car with NO modifications whatsoever.
No shims, offset spacers, or fender rolling on any wheel.

Don Mies

635CSi (#8 BMW so far)
Thinking about a Z3