[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 M3 Wheels

	I just visited the part dept of an unnamed local BMW dealership to
	investigate buying another set of alloy wheels for my 95 M3 (with
	a view to putting racing tires on them)!

	The parts representative tried to sell me some 17"x7.5" (front) and
	17"x8.5" (rear) BMW OEM wheels, further suggesting that I use
	225/45ZR17 (front) and 245/40ZR17 (rear) tires. Now having read all
	most of the literature and this digest for sometime I recall that
	the suspension geometry of the 96' M3 was changed "in concert" with
	the change in wheel/tire combintaions from the 95' which was 17"x7.5"
	and 235/40/ZR17's all round.

	I questioned the parts guy, but he was oblivious to this and made
	no mention of the potential change in handling if I went with such
	a solution!

	So, my question is, to those with greater understanding than I, am
	I right in my assumptions, and furthermore would such a change result
	in significant (negative) results in the handling of the car, given
	that I have Dinan stage III suspension mods on my car (my feeling is
	that the car would understeer a lot more with the shift in contact
	patch size etc from front to rear)?

	Thanks

	- Larry.

	P.S

	Any suggestions what I should do about the parts representative to
	ensure he does'nt make this mistake (if in fact he has) again?

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 E-Mail: Larry.Cable@domain.elided	 Mail: Laurence P. G. Cable,
					       Senior Staff Engineer,
					       JavaSoft Inc.,
					       Mailstop UCUP01-201,
 Phone : 408-343-1776 (x51776)                 2550 Garcia Avenue,
 Fax   : 408-343-1553       		       Mountain View CA 94043.

					       JavaSoft Inc.,
					       10201 North De Anza Blvd,
					       Cupertino, Ca 95014