[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

That JATO Rocket Legend

Hate to chew up the bandwidth even more but the damage has already been
done....Last night, while channel zapping I watched the better part of an old
CHiPs episode (you know, "Ponch and John").  Anyway, the getaway driver /
accomplice for this bank robber was in the habit of stealing cars (to be used
for getaways).  Before the big heist is to go down he steals some early 70's
Camaro (completely tricked out), takes it to his favorite painter/mechanic and
asks him for a new paint job and something that'll really make his car "take
off".  Camera pans over to two bomb like objects with the words "Jet Assisted
Take Off" stenciled on them as the mechanic says, "Great, I've been looking for
a reason to try these things out".  As one can imagine a big chase scene ensues
(after the holdup) and in the getaway driver's last moment of desperation he
presses his magic switch to ignite the JATOs.  The car zooms away, does some
spectacular thrashing and crashing - landing right side up (but mangled) with
the driver perfectly OK.

So now I wonder which came first....the urban legend or this damn episode of
CHiPs??

Rick, BMWCCA GGC
'95 M3 Post-It Note Yellow