[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

O'fest Report-Long

BMW CCA Octoberfest 1996- My First But Not My Last

by

Bob Tatterson (bob.tatterson@domain.elided)

I have finally fully recovered from August's Octoberfest BMW overload!  The
whirl of sights, sounds and smells (!) have finally coalesced into describable
memories which I want to share with the Chapter. So read on if you wish.

It was an incredible jammed packed week of activities which really has to be
experienced to understand. Unbelieveably I participated in EVERY activity I
had time for, yet I also participated in half of the available events. And
events there were, of every kind imaginable from 100% social to 100% foot to
the floor, blood in the eyes, competition. Below I give a roughly
chronological account of my personal highlights. Enjoy!

The drive down Sunday from Pittsfield MA to Tyson's Corner VA (just outside
DC) was painless, with beatiful sunny sky, no polizei and high average speeds
through NJ. My schwatz metallic E30 M3 continues to impress me- smooth and
relatively quiet running at 75 MPH and 30 MPG. Arriving at the Sheraton (the
basecamp for the rest of the week) was a real treat. I had never seen so many
BMW of every kind in a parking lot in my life! The number of M3's, both new
and old, was staggering. Most cars were tastefully modified to some extent-
with some in full race trim. Tech inspection, a drivers school meeting and a
nice social gathering capped the day.

Monday morning, 6 AM, I go out to the car for the 1 and 1/2 hour drive to the
Summit Point Racetrack in WVA, and the first raindrop falls. It proceeded to
rain CONTINUOUSLY for the next 28 hours! We slid, we spun, we got crazy and
then we had our skidpad sessions! Seriously, Summit Point is SLICK when wet. I
kept it on the track but I had a "warning" coming onto the back straight as I
over eagerly nudged into the gas and my rear tires decided they were ready to
pit out and tried to pass the rest of my car. A mild counter-steer reminded
them who was boss-but at speed it gets exciting.

Tuesday was my autocross group of 40 cars- just M3's (new and old). What a
scene. By the time we ran it stopped raining and we had a dry afternoon. The
course was good, laid out on a sloping lot so there were a lot of camber
changes. I managed a 4th in stock M3 after the Wiles family. Maybe next
year-in my dreams!!

Wednesday morning was my session at the "safety school" put on by Car Guy's
Inc." and the Club race in the afternoon. The safety school was lots of good
driving tips plus time in a special "skid" car and a mini-autocross course to
teach quick reaction, vision and use of mirrors, braking and turning skills.
Definetely worthwhile.

The club race was fantastically exciting. Knowing several of the guys in the
race (including Patroon Chapter member Ron Checca), seeing my model out there,
and having just driven the track myself made it an excellent show. My thanks
to all the drivers who made it possible. Tim Ng and I arrived in time to watch
the qualifying and then the race. Ron qualified well up in the pack and was
having a good race in his Schwartz E30 M3 (what a great car I must add!)
running in H Prepared before he dropped out with a defective engine kill
switch, of all things. Bad luck for Ron, but knowing Ron, he will make sure
that that never happens again. Race winner was Garry Bossert in a modifed E30
M3. Those poor E36 M3's just couldn't keep up! Did I mention it was HOT now!
While we froze on Monday and Tuesday, the oven was on High for the rest of the
week.

Thursday was The Rally, not the fun rally which I didn't get to do, but a real
all day TSD and Monte Carlo style rally through the beautiful horse country of
Virginia. Or so I hear, as I had my head down pounding a calculator, reading
instructions and trying to read an analog watch while bouncing along in Tim
Ng's M3 (a lovely black E30 I must add!!). This was the first rally I've
participated in that encourged an, ugh, "brisk" pace. It was exciting. I think
we even got some "air" at one point. Yow! Tim and I managed a tie for fourth
in the novice class. The rally was very well attended with at least 70 cars.

Friday was the concour, and (I hear) for once NO rain. The setting was
beautiful as were the cars. I know one former Patroon Member who's wheels and
tires visited his hotel tub prior to the event! And he was just in the
non-competitive Display Class!! He reported the maids scrubbed the black oily
rings out with no questions asked.

Other highlights were the vendor area (lots of goodies to oogle), the
reception and parties (lots of food and great BMW CCA Octoberfest Brand
microbrew), the photo contest, the technical sessions (the one on safety
equipment was excellent and has me rethinking my whole setup), the mini-car
show,the final Awards Banquet and slide show,,,, I could go on and on.

The real pleasure of course was spending time with the other member, including
our chapter contingent of Ron Checca, Mark ???, Harry A???? and former member
Tim Ng. The best way to really understand what a pleasure this was is......to
attend an Octoberfest. And guess what? One is coming to our neck of the woods
NEXT YEAR! Yes, the New Hampshire Chapter has offered to host the next O-fest,
so no excuses. Lets Go!