[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE <e28> a/c problem

                                         Subject:
                                         RE <e28> a/c problem
                                         Time: 9:35 AM       Date:
9/4/96

t sounds/appears that your evaporator is freezing over.  Probably from an
expansion valve which lets the unit run below 32 degrees.  Possibly, you
could set the controls for less cooling and get more time before the total
freezing occurs.  Otherwise, if that is the real problem, it is an expensive
cure.

>I have a time delayed a/c problem.  It works fine for short trips and when
>it is first started but after about 2 hours it starts to blow warm air.  Any
>ideas?  TIA.

============

I am not sure about the expansion valve being the culprit.  The E28 a/c has a
thermistor sitting near the coil and a small relay/control circuit that is fed
by the thermister.  The thermister is buried on the left side (about by the
driver's knee, and the control relay is further down, kinda above and to the
right of the gas pedal.  I understand the specific purpose of these components
is to prevent evaporator coil freeze up.

Gettin to the relay isn't too hard if you can make lilke a pretzel enough to
get down there.  The thermister is under the center console grill which has to
be disassembled - a pain in the you know what.  I think Bently provides more
specifics about location and access.

Harvey

  "AARRRGGHHHH!"