[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: KN filters

<<<There isn't a question of whether KN filters add power (even tho
Dinan says they cant measure a difference, Dinan doesnt use a
big enough fan). The question is whether KN filters lead to
accelerated wear on the engine. The KN's dont catch the micon-sized
silica particles that Barry Ritchie mentioned would appear in the
oil of KN-like filter'd engines.>>>

Dan,
	This very debate has been going on on Compuserve for a while now
and the
conclusion is that the only way to really tell if the K&N filter is
allowing extra dirt into
the engine is to perform an oil analysis. Many of us on Compuserve have
done this
both with the stock paper air filter and the K&N filter. The conclusion
is that the K&N
filter does just as good as the paper filter. I have my own lab results
to prove this in my case.
I regularly sample the oil after oil changes to ensure that the dirt
level, measured by silicon content
and other contaminants, is low.  Trust me, I wouldn't risk anything with
a $20,000 engine.

Prakash Maggan
'92 DINAN 750iL
Maggan@domain.elided